The official site of the Tourist Board Split-Dalmatia County

By car


On the territory of the Republic of Croatia only a person holding a valid driving licence issued in the Republic of Croatia, a foreign driving licence, an international driving licence or a certificate of filed request for the issuance of the driving licence (a certificate of a filed request for the issuance of the driving licence is valid for operating motor vehicles in road traffic 30 days from the date the request was filed) for the category which is being operated may operate a motor vehicle in road traffic. When operating a motor vehicle, the driver must have with him/her the driving licence or the certificate of filed request for the issuance of the driving licence and show it at the request of a police officer. In addition, the driver that operates a motor vehicle in road traffic must have with him/her the vehicle registration certificate, and show it at the request of a police officer. The vehicle registration certificate must not be left in the vehicle without the driver’s supervision.

Motor vehicles and trailers may participate in road traffic on the territory of the Republic of Croatia if registered and if they have a valid vehicle registration certificate. Exceptionally, motor vehicles and trailers that are insured and have temporary licence plates do not have to be registered.

The driver who enters the territory of the Republic of Croatia with a motor vehicle holding a foreign registration or an EEA registration must have a valid international motor vehicle insurance policy that is valid in the territory of the EU or some other proof of the existence of such insurance. The proof of existence of an international document is the official licence plate of the vehicle that is normally stationed in the territory of the country whose national bureau has signed the Multilateral Agreement (EEA member countries and other associate countries), and a valid Green Card issued for the vehicle that comes from the country whose national insurance bureau is not a signatory to the Multilateral Agreement (member countries of the ‘Green Card Insurance System’, signatories to the Crete Agreement) and other documents and proofs the validity of which is recognised by the Croatian Insurance Bureau.

The car rental (rent-a-car) terms and conditions are established by the ‘Rental Agreement’ and the General Terms and Conditions which constitute an integral part of the indicated Agreement.

There are taxi services in all cities and tourist resorts. 

Speed Limits:

50 km/h – within settled areas 
90 km/h – outside settled areas 
110 km/h – on major roadways designed exclusively for motor vehicles, and on highways
130 km/h – on motorways 
80 km/h – for motor vehicles with a caravan trailer without brakes 
80 km/h – for buses and buses with a light trailer; on motorways, buses are allowed to drive up to 100 km/h, except for those buses carrying children

Please reduce and adjust your speed in wet road conditions.


Driving with dipped headlights is obligatory during winter time. 

The use of mobile telephones while driving is forbidden!

The use of seat belts is obligatory. 

A reflective sleeveless jacket is an obligatory part of every vehicle’s emergency equipment. The driver is obliged to wear it when he or she is on the road, outside the car (changing a tyre, doing repair works on the car, filling up with petrol, stopping other cars in an attempt to seek help, etc.)

Petrol stations:

In larger cities and on the motorways, petrol stations are open 24 hours a day. Petrol stations sell Eurosuper 95, Super 95, Super 98, Super plus 98, Euro Diesel and Diesel. Gas (LPG) is available in major cities and at petrol stations on motorways. 

Highway toll charges:

Information can be found on the following websites: and

How to avoid traffic jams

Before travelling, check the conditions of road and ferry traffic with HAK (HAK Information Centre: 072 777 777 or +385 1 464 0800 (calls from abroad) or on All real-time information on traffic conditions can be found in the the HAK multi-language application for smartphones. During your journey, you can hear all traffic reports in Croatian on the Second Radio Programme of the Croatian Radio (98.5 Mhz), and from late June  in English and German as well. 

digital nomads