In 1708, the noble Marchi family, brothers Ivan Petraj Juraj and Ivan, built a fortified castle in Maslinica around which a settlement later developed. The castle was built as a military fort whilst loopholes and cannon openings are still visible on both the tower walls and on the outer walls of the entire fortress. This three-hundred-year-old castle has been restored today as a luxury heritage hotel available for rent as a whole, with its own heliport and a beautiful restaurant with a terrace. With the renovation of the castle and the construction of a nautical marina, Maslinica has become the tourist and nautical centre of the island.
The official site of the Tourist Board Split-Dalmatia County