The Arsenal, a monumental building in the central part of the town of Hvar’s historic core, is one of the most important naval buildings in the Mediterranean, built as a vaulted storage for a war galleon in the southern part of the town square – Pjaca. In 1530 Venice started the construction of a new arsenal which, in its present form and with a large arch at the front of the west sea side, was finished in 1559. The European Commission, “Europa Nostra”, announced that Hvar’s Arsenal was among the winners of the European Heritage Award in the category of Heritage Protection – Conservation for 2020. Such places are evidence of a long history of international trade in Europe and thanks to its location in the port, even today plays an important role as a place of connection, gatherings and social activities.
The official site of the Tourist Board Split-Dalmatia County