The official site of the Tourist Board Split-Dalmatia County
Trail info
Length2.30 km
Elevation16 m
Asphalt: 1.50 km
Macadam: 0.80 km
Bottom elevation1 m
Top elevation16 m
Start pointSućuraj
End pointSućuraj


Sućuraj Lighthouse is located on the easternmost coast of the island of Hvar. It was built in 1889 as part of the overall Austro-Hungarian project of establishing a system of lighthouses in the Adriatic from the early 19th until the beginning of the 20th century. This lighthouse is a symbol of the small town of the same name (which comes from the former medieval Church of St. George – Sveti Juraj – whose existence in the area of present-day Sućuraj was recorded in the Hvar Municipality Statue of 1331). Thanks to its strategic position, Sućuraj plays an important role in the surveillance of the waters in the Hvar, Korčula and Neretva Channels. The legend of the fortified palace of the Illyrian Queen Teuta (3rd century BC) at the site of Košćak (Teuta’s Wall, north of Sućuraj) and the Venetian fortress of 1613 in Sućuraj are both parts of the local history.

  • Start 43º 7’ 29.899” N / 17º 11’ 21.901” E
    At the tip of the breakwater (next to the statue of St. Nicholas) in Sućuraj, head westwards
  • 0.15 km enter a small street towards the west
  • 0.35 km turn right towards the Riva; continue by the sea along the Riva (on the northern side of the cove)
  • 1.20 km Cape Sućuraj Lighthouse; continue along the sea
  • 1.80 km turn left
  • 1.90 km turn right
  • 2.00 km turn left
  • 2.10 km Franciscan monastery and the Parish Church of St. George (Sveti Juraj)
  • 2.30 km the Riva in Sućuraj (next to the Parish Church of St. George)

Google Street View

digital nomads