Fortress Grad

The remains of the old fortress, known simply as Grad among the people of Sinj, have faithfully watched over the town of Sinj for centuries. It was a refuge for civilians and soldiers during the Turkish invasions, it  guarded and protected the weak and resisted the invaders. In the center of the fortress was the church of St. Michael with the altar of St. Barbara where the Franciscans from Rama laid a precious and miraculous image of Our Lady of Mercy. In 1699, through the intercession of Friar Pavao Vučković, the construction of St Mary’s church began in the settlement at the foot of the old fortress. The church was completed in 1712.



Visit us on instagram